Thursday 15 May 2014

You put WHAT in your breakfast?

G'Day all and Welcome :-)

First actual posting in a while. I've actually written a few and decided not to post... Which is helpful to me but boring for you I guess - so since I've a day at home I thought I'd share a bit of a delicious post.

It's no secret I like vegetables - especially the green and leafy kind. And it's important to try and fit them into your diet as much as you can - but not everyone likes broccoli three times a day! One green & leafy I've been using a great deal lately (it's autumn here and finally cool enough to start winter veggies) is English Spinach.

Once very commonly eaten, known as Popeye's magical booster food - spinach is breathtakingly easy to grow. Literally loosen up the soil, seed, wet and forget. When it first shoots, it will look like blades of grass - don't worry you have planted the right seeds!

I now use spinach in place of lettuce - to me it tastes similar enough to Cos Verdi, and is much better for you. It's also great in cooking - a big handful stirred through the mashed spuds before serving wilts just slightly and is very tasty. This morning - I put it in my breakfast. Enjoy the how to below!! 



 
Step 1 - get your bacon frying in your nice, hot CI pan
Step 2 - add a big handful of lovely fresh green English Spinach; it will wilt down some so be generous!
 
Step 3 - cover with the pan lid and let the spinach wilt a bit, this takes maybe 30 secs?
Step 4 - grate some cheese on; I'm using a New Zealand vintage crumbly cheddar, with a nice strong flavour.
Step 5 - beat a couple of eggs, a splosh of milk, some black pepper... 
Step 6 - and pour it into the pan. I give the bacon / spinach a bit of a push around so the egg mix goes under them as well.
 
Step 7 - lid back on for a minute or so. This helps keep the heat in, while I'm waiting for the bottom of the egg mix to get crunchy.
Step 8 - lid off, when the egg starts to come away easy from the side of the skillet - she's ready to flip over.
Step 9 - flip and sizzle! Plenty of steam, and yummy smells coming from the pan now. If you weren't hungry before, you are now!
 
Step 10 - more cheese. Mmmmmmm cheese.....
 Step 11 - once the cheese is melted and the bottom of the egg is crisped, put it on a plate, and see if you can make it as far as the table before you start eating... I couldn't! 


Hope you all enjoy your spinach!

M






3 comments:

  1. I love spinach and this sounds delicious. Thanks Morgan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou for reading Gloria! I'm starting a pot of spinach this week as a gift for a friend - I'm photographing it daily and hope to make a post about it soon to encourage others to grow it themselves :-)

      Delete
  2. That looks soooo delicious! I think I know what's on the menu tomorrow brunch (I usually eat twice a day as it fits around chores better). My veg patch greens are not as well advanced as they should be at this time of year because the serious heatwave we had earlier in the year stopped them germinating when I should have started them. I actually BOUGHT a lettuce the other day! Scandalous! Hmm, there's not much in the world that can't be made better with bacon or cheese or both....

    ReplyDelete